"Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County"- Chicago Chapman Brothers -1888
From page 299:
The marriage of Rev. Joseph SECHLER & Miss Mary HARTZEL took place Oct. 5, 1847. The wife of our subject is a native of Northampton County, Pa., and the daughter of John & Maria (ANDREWS) HARTZELL, both natives of Pennsylvania. Her paternal grandfather was John HARTELL, of Swiss ancestry, was a native of Switzerland County, Pa., whence he removed to securing a tract of land along the banks of the Delaware, where he cleared a farm & spent the remainder of his life. His wife was the daughter of Frederick and Magdalena (BUTZ) ANDREWS. The BUTZ family were of German origin, and the descendants of both families were widely and favorably known throughout the counties of bucks and Northampton.
Our subject and his wife became the parents of three children, two now living, namely, Ermina E., who married William CROTZER, a resident of Lena, and Maria Margaret, the wife of A. S. CROTZER.
NOTE: there is an article on the previous page of the Reverend
Joseph SECHLER. I can type that out too if you would like it.
From page 352-353
Franklin Luther CROTZER, senior member of the firm of CROTZER & SEISE, with his partner represents in a creditable manner the hardware trade in Lena, which they established in 1878. Our subject came to this county when a boy nine years of age, with his parents, George W. & Mary (LOWER) CROTZER. He was first introduced to the responsibilities of life in the little town of Salona, Clinton Co., PA, Aug. 11, 1848, and passed his childhood in the rural regions of the country, mostly upon his father’s farm.
The education of Mr. CROTZER, begun in the Keystone State, was completed in Lena, this county, mostly during the winter season. When eighteen years old, he started out to see something of the world, and accompanied by his brother, Andrew S., drove a four-horse team from Lena to Kansas, starting in March, and reaching his destination five weeks later. In the spring of 1877, he engaged in clerking at Valley Falls, and soon afterward became a member of a company which put up an elevator and operated in grain until the spring following. He then returned to Lena, and in company with his brothers, engaged in the hardware business with which he has since been connected. He associated himself with his present partner in March, 1881, and bother being men of energy & straightforward business methods, their success was assured from the start. They carry a full line of everything in their department of trade, and enjoy the patronage of the most reliable people in West Point Township.
The lady chosen for the life partner of our subject was Miss Hannah
K. AIGLEY, a native of this county, and the daughter of George AIGLEY,
of Waddams Township. Their marriage took place Oct. 12, 1884, and
the pair are established in a pleasant little home in Lena. Mr. CROTZER,
since exercising the right of suffrage, has aided in the support of Republican
principles, and as one of the rising young business men of Lena, his course
is watched with interest, and the good wishes of hosts of friends.
From pages 409-410
Andrew S. CROTZER, one of the most enterprising business men of Lena, is junior member of the firm of CROTZER Bros. possessing rare business abilities and dealing in that fair & impartial manner which has secured them the confidence & esteem of their fellow-citizens.
Our subject was born in the town of Salona, Clinton Cou., PA., Feb. 27, 1846, and is a scion of one of the most influential families of that region. His grandfather, Solomon CROTZER, also a native of the Keystone State, but of German parentage, spent his entire life in the region of his birth, but during the early settlement of Stephenson County, visited Illinois, the journey being performed overland. Upon his return he was taken fatally ill and died before reaching home. His son, George W., the father of our subject, who was born in Pennsylvania, after reaching manhood selected wife among the maidens of the vicinity, and after h is marriage remained for awhile in Clinton County, but a few years later purchased a tannery in the town of Salona, which he operated until 1857. At that time he had decided to make his future home in the West, and disposing of his property in Pennsylvania, started for Illinois. Fifty miles of the journey were performed by team and the balance by rail. After reaching this county George CROTZER rented a tract of land in West Point Township until 1866. IN the spring of that year he crossed the Father of Waters and going into Kansas purchased 120 acres of partially improved land in Jefferson County, where he engaged in farming and stock raising and which has since been his home. He prospered from the start and is now the owner of 400 acres under good cultivation. The mother of our subject, who in her girlhood was Miss Mary LOWER was a native of Clinton County, PA, and the daughter of William LOWER< who was born in Pennsylvania and was of German ancestry, the ancient patronymic being LOHR. George & Mary CROTZER became the parents of six children: Mary E., the wife of Reuben LOWER, lives in Montgomery County, Iowa’s; William H. Is written of elsewhere in this volume; Carrie, Andrew S. And Franklin Luther are residents of Lena; Emma died in 1870, when an interesting girl of 18.
The subject of this sketch, the fourth child of his parents, was eleven years of age when they came to Illinois. He had received his first schooling in his native town, and after coming into this county pursued his studies during the winter and assisted his father and brothers on the farm in summer. Upon the outbreak of the Rebellion he enlisted as a Union soldier in Co. E, 92d Ill. Mtd. Inf., under Gen. Kilpatrick. The regiment was afterward detailed for duty with Sherman’s command at Chattanooga, where they joined the great General in his march from Atlanta to the sea, and , also participated in all the engagements of that rapid and brilliant campaign. Our subject, who was then but 22 years of age, endured bravely and uncomplainingly the hardships of army life and received his honorable discharge at the close. This proved a rich experience to him, which he values above all others in his life. In traveling throughout the South he gained a good knowledge of its customs and its people, and traveled over an extent of territory which probably he would not have traversed had it not been that his duty led him thither. After returning from the army and visiting at the old home a few weeks, he began to lay his plans for the future. IN the spring of 1866, accompanied by his brother Luther, he started with a four-horse team for Kansas, which journey occupied them three weeks. After arriving in the State he worked upon his father’s land there three years and then rented the land until 1873. IN the spring of that year he returned to Lena, where he had already secured an interest in a stock of hardware, and in connection with this business in June following began to deal in lumber, becoming a member of the firm of STOVER, STECKLE & co. Soon afterward, however, he and his brother purchased the interest of the partners, and since that time the business has been conducted under the firm name of CROTZER
The marriage of Andrews S. CROTZER and Miss Maggie SECKLER was celebrated
at the home of the brides parents Nov. 15, 1877. Mrs. CROTZER is
a native of Montour County PA , and the daughter of Rev. Joseph and Mary
(HARTZEL) SECKLER, whose biography appears elsewhere in this Album.
Mr. and Mrs. CROTZER are the happy parents of two bright daughters:
Mary, born May 4, 1879 and Ada, born Jan. 5 1881. They are members
and regular attendants of the English Lutheran Church, in which Mr. CROTZER
has held various important offices, being Deacon, Treasurer and Liberian,
and attending as a delegate the Northern Synod of Illinois and the
United States Synod at Harrisburg, in 1885. He has occupied the various
township offices and was a member of the Board of Supervisors from West
Point in 1884. He is a strong temperance man, Republican in politics,
and interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of his community.
The handsome and substantial family residence is pleasantly located on
Schuyler Street, and was built in 1881. It is a large modern structure,
fitted up with all the conveniences of the present day, and in its furnishing
and finishing indicates the refined tastes and ample means of the proprietor,
The grounds around are generous in extent and planted with choice shade
trees and shrubbery, the whole forming one of the attractive features of
the residence part of the city.
Thank-you, Karen (Stephenson County Look-up).